[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jul 4 10:54:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 11:05 +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> > How exactly is it racism? Are you serious suggesting that there is a
> > real link between an advertised salary level and ethnicity?
>
> In terms of gender - women do seem get lower salaries than their male
> counterparts.

Can you point to a single advert anywhere in the UK (or any "developed"
country for that matter!) which offers a low salary on the basis of
gender (actually you mean sex as they are different things), ethnicity,
disability, etc?

> A friend of mine told me how much she was getting in
> comparison to her male colleagues and the difference was around at
> least £5k.  They were doing the same job, at the same level.  She also
> had to fight to get better pay at the the company she worked for when
> she moved departments.  I found the whole thing outrageous.  It'd be
> nice to see more women in the IT sector, but with this sort of thing
> going on..

Yes there is an issue with women getting lower salaries on average. It's
a different issue to the one we're discussing however.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk