[Gllug] RHEL Virtualisation Puzzle

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 10:16:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith
<sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>> > is the Redhat documentation out of date?  Or is it HVM?  In
>>> which case, is the Redhat documentation incorrect?
>
> <snip>
>
>> In RHEL5, update 2  the basic functionality of running 32-bit paravirt
>> guests on a 64-bit host will work, and run reliably. We still indicate
>> that it is considered tech-preview though, because save/restore/migrate
>> does not work in a 32-on-64 environment.
>
> Thanks.  I've now found that this is explicitly stated in the 5.2
> x86_64 release notes.  It would be good if this information made it
> into the Virtualization guide, though.
>
> I won't be doing any save/restore/migrate on these guests, and I am
> keen to use paravirtualisation for performance, and, more importantly,
> ease and speed of (re)deployment.

Speaking of which, here's what I want to do:

Deploy a single x86_64 RHEL5 machine with 3 identical 32 bit VMs,
automatically.  For a single server, I normally do this with puppet
and kickstart.  I'm wondering about the best way to get the 3 vms
automatically deployed and have puppet run on them.

I'm currently looking at generating kickstart templates, per host and
VM, which will daisy-chain.  So, for example, the host would get a
base install, puppet would be run, firing off tempklated virt-installs
which in turn call crafted kickstart scripts.  All IPs would be
allocated dynamically, I think, and re-ip'd after QA.

Does this sound like the right sort of approach?  Or has anyone
experience / ideas of a better way?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk