[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jul 4 08:20:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 08:11 +0100, Iain Gray wrote:
> Lets take this role where the salary was 16K. What if someone was
> junior, but just downright good or would fit into the company well,
> but was looking for say 21k minimum. This person would be put off from
> the applying all for a measly 5k a year - that is less than the cost
> of the office space they would take up if your offices are in Soho!!
> By putting a cap on what you are offering you are putting off people
> who you might employ if they were to apply.

And saving them from wasting their valuable time on an application for a
job they would not accept anyway. If the maximum a company is willing to
pay is £16K I would argue that it is dishonest to invite applications
from those who would not accept a job at that salary.

By posting the salary up front, whether as a single figure or a range,
the potential employer enables applicants to make an informed decision
as to whether to spend time and effort applying for the position.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk