[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Fri Jul 4 09:09:29 UTC 2008

Jason Clifford wrote:

> And saving them from wasting their valuable time on an application for a
> job they would not accept anyway. If the maximum a company is willing to
> pay is £16K I would argue that it is dishonest to invite applications
> from those who would not accept a job at that salary.
>
> By posting the salary up front, whether as a single figure or a range,
> the potential employer enables applicants to make an informed decision
> as to whether to spend time and effort applying for the position.

I can't help but feel that posting very low salaries for Linux system
administration roles is a kind of veiled racism/ageism.

What the employer is saying is that they don't have a viable business
model so they are in some hoping to be subsidised by taking on people
from overseas who can be expected to work for less money.

I've seen a marked increase in for example Polish staff (as in the
building and construction industry). Don't get me wrong, these people
are very able and hard working in many cases, but they are undoubtedly
being exploited by UK employers and are undercutting many UK based
candidates.

Even if a low paying employer takes on an older member of staff
(unlikely) they will hope that he has a family of some description, so
their business model can be subsidised by the State with tax credits and
other benefits.

These are the downsides of globalisation, yes we get cheap goods from
China , but we also have the destruction of professions and the middle
classes with more or less every "career" reduced to a casual, "burger
flipping" level of existence.

And when I was employed in the Web Hosting, Domain industry I had to put
up with grumbles from Sysadmin / programmers on twice these salary levels!

Of course if the low paying employer is providing substantial training
with a view to the candidate attaining some kind of certification then
it *might* be worthwhile. However every IT role I've know has been "self
training."

Sorry rant over! My ten cents worth! :-)

Regards

Paul Lee
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk