[Gllug] [OT] BT phone connections and ADSL

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 00:24:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, James Roberts wrote:

> damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I've just bought a three level flat which doesn't appear to have a
> > master BT socket.  The only visible phone connection is a small
> > extension socket in the kitchen (the middle level).  My adsl
> > router was able to get between 6000 and 8000 kbps which matches
> > what an online test showed before I ordered adsl, latency on a
> > basic ping was about 12ms, so I wasn't too bothered initially.

My ISP (Bogons) pointed me at the following:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

This certainly fits with the increase in latency from 12 to 50ms
especially as my line appears quite noisy and bad.

I'll probably see what it's like with it turned off.

> > So, what is going on?  How can I find the master socket and will
> > this improve matters?
>
> There probably is no master socket. My flat has none. If so, then
> there will be a lozenge-shaped BT master termination near a window
> or door and an internal-type cable running to the socket. Master
> sockets were introduced post-BT (post '83?), Post Office Telecom did
> not use them AFAIK.
>
> However this should have no effect on speed.

I think if there is a lozenge-shaped or otherwise, master socket, it
would exist somewhere above my bathroom ceiling, possibly at the top
of the block I'm in.  This is out of my reach unfortunately.

> > Can a cable simply laying next to a phone line cause
> > interference that would up latency but not limit line speed?
>
> Yes. You have increased capacitance to ground. But I find it unlikely.

It's possible my dad hammered through the wire.  I'll have to see see
what a new microfilter does.

> > Two of the filters I have don't seem to work well
>
> Microfilters? Throw them away and buy new ones. Any thunderstorm
> zaps 'em.

It's odd that all are sucking.  I have 3, am using the one which gives
the least poor connection rate.  I have a brand new one on order and
hope this will help.

> I refuse to use them - I wire in a master DSL socket but legally, on a
> short link from the incoming BT termination.

That sounds like a plan, is it hard?

> > I'm tempted to pay BT to come and fit a new master connection,
> > they can work out where it all comes from and sort it properly,
> > but I worry that I'll not get anyone competant, that it won't fix
> > it at all and will be very expensive.
>
> You should not have to pay for a new master socket. However they
> will charge for any extensions.

They didn't seem interested in whether I had a master socket,
certainly didn't sound like it would be a free visit for them to come
and wire one up.

I'll talk to the housing office, they may know how the phones were put
in years ago.  Then maybe consider a BT visit.

Thanks,

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk