[Gllug] Difference between svn: and svn+ssh: on the server

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 16:00:52 UTC 2008

John Winters wrote:

> I seem to have sussed it.  You just do:
>
> ssh -L 3690:localhost:3690 <target server>

> I would have thought it was more logical for svn's inbuilt
> tunnel-over-ssh feature to work in this way, but it doesn't.

svn+ssh is closer to using svn on the local filesystem

user permissions are those of the ssh user

you specify the path in the usual ssh way

if the repo is at ~/repository
svn+ssh://example.com:repository

or if its in a shared location maybe

svn+ssh://example.com:/var/svn/myproject

and if you have a special svn account

svn+ssh://svnuser@example.com:/var/svn/myproject

It works fine if you have the svn repo on your dev machine and sometimes
work from elsewhere via ssh

...and you can mix it with svn over apache (but it's hard to get the
permissions right)

I wonder if you can access the same repository via both plain svn and
svn over apache ....

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk