[Gllug] Flat rsync

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jul 14 11:19:01 UTC 2008

On Mon Jul 14  8:08 , 'Jose Luis Martinez' <jjllmmss at googlemail.com> sent:

>On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Farnsworth
>farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:
>> I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it is a problem at work
>> and I am looking for help.
>>
>> Under windows, I have a 25 Gb directory that contains millions of small
>> files to the point where it actually uses 96 Gb of disk space (due to
>> block / cluster size issues).  I need to transfer this to another server
>> and windows copy takes ages (it was running for 3 days before some
>> mo.... err support tech killed the session)  Now I am looking for faster
>> alternatives.  I have tried taring up the directory but the sheer size
>> of it is killing tar.  Would rsync work under windows? and would it
>> maintain windows permissions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for not trashing me too much on this.  It is work and
>> we are required to use windows.  On the other hand, all our web / app /
>> database server are running linux.
>>
>> Andy
>
>Is the copy to another Windows machine?
>
>If it is, your posting would frankly be out of topic, I don't mean
>this as a preposterous flaming, I personally  have no experience with
>Windows having not worked with it at all for the past 10 years. Gut
>feeling tells me that you could find better expertise elsewhere (real
>Windows gurus come up with very clever things born out of familiarity
>with it).
>
>Something that may work better in general is to move the disk to the
>target machine and do a shadow copy with duplication software (dd or
>dump in Linux :-) ), that way you would at least skip the network part
>of the whole thing.

Yes, it is (was actually now) a copy to another windows machine.  And I do agree
that it was out of topic and appreciate everyone's patience with me.  I don't
normally do this, however, the issue was very pressing and work related so I was
seeking help from any and all resources I had.  I feel that GLLUG is a very good
resource and so posted it here.

The issue is no longer an issue and I thank everyone for all their suggestions
and their indulgence.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk