[Gllug] Restricting the number of child procs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jul 4 17:01:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 05:07:07PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Talking about fork failures, I had a case yesterday on a cluster. System
> head node locks up, no more logins, cannot fork any further processes
> due to maximum number of files open. Not possible to log into the
> console.

Funnily enough I'm working on some tools which can analyze systems
without needing to log in (by examining kernel memory directly).
Primarily for virtualized systems of course, but I was thinking about
whether these techniques could be applied to baremetal systems too,
perhaps by using some sort of modified NIC BIOS to snoop memory.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat