[Gllug] Debian: vserver vs openvz

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jul 29 13:12:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:52:14PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> I think the real question is which (if any) of these projects will be
> first to end up with all their patches in the main Linux kernel.

They're both collaborating on getting containers support into the
kernel so they can co-exist.

I've used neither OpeNVZ of VServer, but there was a rather striking
presentation at OLS  - in the tests performed VServer was the top
performer across the board and OpenVZ had a very bad showing.

http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2008/camargos-reprint.pdf

> You might also want to look at the Linux containers project:
>
>   http://lxc.sourceforge.net/

This is probably too early to be useful for anything in real world. The
network device virtualization isn't finished, and there's no work on
device virtualization, so any container can access pretty much anything
on the parent OS. Thus far is basically just PID, filesystem and UTS
namespace separation (as of 2.6.26)

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|