[Gllug] Guardian says Firefox is rubbish

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Tue Jul 8 18:35:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 16:02 +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Face it, firefox is crap. It's just that it's the best we have right
> now :-(
>
> Tet

Err... no. Firefox is far from perfect. But if you had to use IE all day
everyday in your work environment then you'd recognise the quality of
the product.

It *is* the bit of software that has done more to improve people's
everyday use of the internet than anything else. I wish I could say that
Linux was in that slot but so far it doesn't offer anything like the
same level of competitive pressure on MS (though obviously we could
argue about how poor the internet would be if only MS servers were
available on commodity hardware).

I've worked in eight different workplaces since I started using Linux at
at home about seven years ago. I don't work in IT but the only time I've
used Linux in any of them is one particular case where I was able to
build a server as a Samba box in the evenings and then tell people they
could now share their MS Word documents in the morning. I've never been
able to convince an employer to use nix on the desktop, but it is so
easy to get people to use FF...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk