[Gllug] Mobile phone broadband

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:04:14 UTC 2008

On 2 Jun 2008, at 14:51, Dylan wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they can make,
> especially
> regarding the quality of service from the various suppliers, which
> 'modems'
> work with Linux and which don't (if any) and any gotcha's or hoops
> which have
> to be navigated.

At least T-Mobile rescales images in web pages behind your back. I've
spoken to several people that complained about blurry images and
didn't realize what was going on. I just brushed the wife off when she
complained about the image quality until I looked at it myself...
Depending on your use it might or might not be a bad thing, but it's
worth keeping in mind that you're not guaranteed to get a completely
unfiltered data stream.

And whether or not you want to use Skype or other VOIP services can
have a major impact on cost on some plans - when my wife signed up it
cost about twice as much to get a plan that allowed Skype use (I don't
know whether or not they enforce it / block it)

--
Vidar Hokstad
Technical Director, Aardvark Media Limited