[Gllug] Mobile phone broadband

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:26:25 UTC 2008

Vidar Hokstad wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2008, at 14:51, Dylan wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they can make,
>> especially
>> regarding the quality of service from the various suppliers, which
>> 'modems'
>> work with Linux and which don't (if any) and any gotcha's or hoops
>> which have
>> to be navigated.

Hi Vidar,

   I've just got myself a three USB modem which I'm reasonably happy with

I've made some notes at:

http://www.practicalweb.co.uk/blog/08/05/25/mobile-internet-and-ubuntu

I need to update them

1) it does work under windows after all - but under either OS it
frequently doesn't connect first time so you have to retry

2) The windows tool has a nice SMS interface (I didn't realise these
modems had SMS capability). I'm investigating Linux sms tools

3) Connection speed varies - sometimes great - sometimes poor (dial up
speed) - from the same location in central London .

The rounded oblong dongle thing (HUAWEI E220 3G HSDPA USB MODEM)  is
supported in kernel versions of 2.6.20 and above

some ports are filtered - but I haven't investigated properly.

I'd be happy to do some further testing and report back if you want.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk