[Gllug] Review: Wireless Broadband

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jun 16 11:51:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 12:47 +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> These are the most interesting part of the page. Has anyone had any
> positive experiences with mobile broadband?

Depends upon what you mean by positive experience.

I have "mobile broadband" from 3. I keep it so I can gain access to my
servers in the event of an emergency when I am away.

It works OK but the latency is horrible and speeds are nowhere near ADSL
or cable. Also because of the way their proxy connections things like
ssh sessions need fairly constant data passing over them or they drop
out.

Not a replacement for a "proper" broadband connection in my view.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk