[Gllug] Review: Wireless Broadband

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Mon Jun 16 12:42:58 UTC 2008

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 12:47 +0100, John G Walker wrote:
>> These are the most interesting part of the page. Has anyone had any
>> positive experiences with mobile broadband?
>
> Depends upon what you mean by positive experience.
>
> I have "mobile broadband" from 3. I keep it so I can gain access to my
> servers in the event of an emergency when I am away.
>
> It works OK but the latency is horrible and speeds are nowhere near ADSL
> or cable. Also because of the way their proxy connections things like
> ssh sessions need fairly constant data passing over them or they drop
> out.
>
> Not a replacement for a "proper" broadband connection in my view.

Has anyone managed to get an SSH connection on an Orange contract? I
installed an SSH client on my LG mobile phone, but no joy. I've not had
too much time to do proper researching into getting it all to work, but
if anyone can recommend a suitable client / experiences it would be much
appreciated.

Regards

Paul
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk