[Gllug] Mobile phone broadband

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 19:17:08 UTC 2008

Caroline Ford wrote:
> 2008/6/8 Sean Burlington <sean at practicalweb.co.uk>:
>> three are definately filtering port 80 with a proxy server that doesn't
>> have the flexibility subversion-over-http needs

> I've had problems with Vodafone seemingly interfering with bzr check
> outs from launchpad.

Well I'm kind of glad to know I didn't choose the one duff service ;-)

Actually I think it's fair enough that the networks aren't providing a
full broadband package at this price - except for the advertising!

I can't find any documentation on what limitations they apply.

The charges for going over the 3Gb limit are extortionate - especially
as the accounts page provides usage details for metered users - and no
info for the rest of us.

usual rate £15 per 3000Mb
additional rate £1 per 1Mb

thats a penalty factor of 200

I can only assume that they don't provide usage details because either

1) they want some of that excess charge

or

2) they want people to be so scared of going over that they only ever
use a small part of their entitlement.

or maybe a bit of both

--

Sean Burlington