[Gllug] how to disable DHCP

David Godfrey dave at lists.deltass.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 00:57:24 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:

> I am trying to connect to my wireless router Netgear DG834PN to the
> cable modem from Virgin Media but wireless router receive no
> internet  connection. Netgear asked me to get help from Virgin Media
> to disable DHCP on the cable modem so I could get a dynamic IP
> address but Virgin Media refused because I didn't buy the wireless
> router from them.
>
> Do you know how to disable DHCP on a cable modem ?

I believe the DG834PN is an ADSL router - it won't work directly with
a cable modem. You need a cable router. You could either dump the
DG834PN and replace it with a wireless cable router or get a wired
cable router and try and futz the DG834PN to work as an access point.

The DHCP service on the cable modem is a red herring. Only when you
have two routers on your network will you need to disable one of their
DHCP servers.

HTH

Regards
--