[Gllug] how to disable DHCP

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Jun 18 21:50:52 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to connect to my wireless router Netgear DG834PN to the cable modem from Virgin Media but wireless router receive no internet  connection. Netgear asked me to get help from Virgin Media to disable DHCP on the cable modem so I could get a dynamic IP address but Virgin Media refused because I didn't buy the wireless router from them.
>
> Do you know how to disable DHCP on a cable modem ?

I'm not sure you need to. Not terribly familiar with cable modems so
perhaps I'm jumping to wrong conclusion here but it would seem that the
cable modem should act as the router and the DG834 should be getting a
local IP address from the cable modem and acting as a bridge. Are you
sure the DG834 has different ranges for both its interfaces.

The DG834 assumes different subnet for the LAN and WAN interfaces so the
  fact that the cable modem offers a reserved subnet should not matter
as long as it's different to the address range the netgear offers to
it's clients. e.g.

cable modem:
internet address: 86.10.201.128
LAN address: 192.168.0.1

netgear:
"WAN" address: 192.168.0.2
"WAN" gateway: 192.168.0.1
LAN range: 10.0.0.0/24

as said I'm not terribly familiar with cable modems but I've set a few
DG834's up in environments where the DG834 is not the internet facing
router.

HTH
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk