[Gllug] Sendmail odd behaviour

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun Jun 1 18:22:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 02:45:41PM +0100, Ken wrote:
> I have recently created some new user id's and none of these id's can
> receive e-mail. I used the normal useradd method to create the user
> id's. If I manually telnet to the local sendmail on port 25 and manually
> send mail, it work's for old user id's but not for the recent ones. What
> the heck is happening here. How is sendmail telling the difference
> between the user id's.

What do the sendmail logs say when these deliveries fail?  What response
do you get when manually typing in the smtp conversation?

Where is local user mail kept on the box and what are the permissions
and ownership of that/those directories?  If you have a single mailspool
location and you are not running sendmail as root then one possibility
is that you have changed the ownership/permissions of that directory so
that sendmail cannot create new files in that location (this would not
necessarily stop it writing to old files.)

There are many ways to configure sendmail; not knowing how you have done
it, it isn't possible to be too much help.  You either have to do more
checking yourself or provide more information here.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.