[Gllug] Sendmail odd behaviour

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sun Jun 1 13:45:41 UTC 2008

Any Sendmail guru's here???

On an FC6 machine I have a number of user id's and mail send and receive
is (has been) working fine. The machine uses smtp authorisation to send
mail out to the 'net via the ISP's smtp relay machine.

I have recently created some new user id's and none of these id's can
receive e-mail. I used the normal useradd method to create the user
id's. If I manually telnet to the local sendmail on port 25 and manually
send mail, it work's for old user id's but not for the recent ones. What
the heck is happening here. How is sendmail telling the difference
between the user id's.

Does anyone know how sendmail checks for valid local user id's?

virtusertable is empty and aliases is standard.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.