[Gllug] Tarball GUI

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jun 21 08:12:40 UTC 2008

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:07:46 +0100 John G Walker
> <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I back up my data daily to a tarball
[snip]

> No one know?

Can't help you with the tar question I'm afraid, but since you appear to
be tar'ing to a disk file I have one suggestion - have you considered
investigating dirvish?  I used to do regular tar backups to tape, but
since I discovered dirvish I now copy stuff to tape only once a month.
The rest of my backups reside on a dedicated dirvish box with RAID 1
disks, and restoring something from a backup is an absolute doddle.

I've resisted disk-based backups for a long time, but I found dirvish
compelling.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk