[Gllug] OT: Finding files in directories recursively

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jun 25 18:31:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 04:26:01PM +0100, James Roberts wrote:
> - Tethys wrote:
> > Obligatory plug: Ogg Vorbis -- you know it makes sense :-)
> >
> > Tet
>
> I used to be an engineer/producer, and to run (and design) recording
> studios. Not a boast (really!), just to say that 'I trust me ears', and
> cannot understand how anyone can tolerate mp3 except for with cans on
> trains and planes.
>
> It is not suitable IMNSHO for any 'musical' purposes. I hear a great big
> hole in the sound - as if the backdrop has gone.
>
> Ogg, OTOH, does not trouble me at all (at reasonable data rates).

With hard drives the price they are there's no reason to use a lossy
compression scheme at all anymore for home audio - only portable players
really justify it. For home I keep everything in ripped Flac on a nice
large drive and stream via a squeezebox. Having the Flac around also makes
it trivial to re-rip to whatever lossy format of the day turns out to be
relevant for portable players.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|