[Gllug] Autodiallers with “Line Sensing”

Tim Porter tim at timporter.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 00:17:02 UTC 2008

Someone already mentioned SMSing, that sounds like the best way to go. I
have a system in place using the clickatell.com api, not free but very
cheap per message. Their services are more geared towards sending bulk SMS
(not spam of course), but they are more than adequate for the occasional
message. I am monitoring a few bits of software/system status such as load
and the like. A power cut sensed by the UPS will send me a text and various
other load limits etc, to safisfy my worries it also sends me an "all ok"
message every 8 hours which I normally ignore but is good to know that
things are working and the system hasnt gone down. I have been recieveing
them for so long that I can only assume I would notice if one failed to
come through but thats never happened so I dont know.

All the data that I need to have monitored by this system i can get from
the command line and hence a little cron script, the UPS automatically
fires up certain other scripts depending what has happened to it but the
rest is via crons. I dont know about you floor water sensors but if you can
get their status from the command line you should be able to implement
something.

Tim P

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk