[Gllug] Newbie video encoding question

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Jun 27 07:33:08 UTC 2008

I've got a short video clip from our (ordinary digital still) camera and
it's in MJPEG format as far as I can tell...

   Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p, 640x480, 30.00 fps(r)
   Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: pcm_u8, 8000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s

Now, this clip is 20MB and for emailing purposes I'd like to recode it
to something smaller. I used ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i in.mov -vcodec mpegvideo -acodec mp3 -s 320x240 out.mpg

That works, and plays on my Linux installation, but Quicktime on my Mac
just complains that it's not a movie. I picked the codecs using the ever
popular "do I recognise any of these" method.

So - what would be sane vcodec/acodec settings to choose for default
Windows installations?

TIA

--
   Richard Huxton