[Gllug] Newbie video encoding question

Cillian de Roiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:55:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> wrote:
> I've got a short video clip from our (ordinary digital still) camera and
> it's in MJPEG format as far as I can tell...
>
>   Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p, 640x480, 30.00 fps(r)
>   Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: pcm_u8, 8000 Hz, mono, 64 kb/s
>
> Now, this clip is 20MB and for emailing purposes I'd like to recode it
> to something smaller. I used ffmpeg:
>
> ffmpeg -i in.mov -vcodec mpegvideo -acodec mp3 -s 320x240 out.mpg

I realise this sounds silly, but have you tried simply:
ffmpeg -i in.mov -s 320x240 out.mov

I believe it will do the right thing. Btw I recently tried out WinFF
as a gui for ffmpeg, it's quite nice and despite the name runs on
Linux as well as Windows: http://www.winff.org/

> That works, and plays on my Linux installation, but Quicktime on my Mac
> just complains that it's not a movie. I picked the codecs using the ever
> popular "do I recognise any of these" method.
>
> So - what would be sane vcodec/acodec settings to choose for default
> Windows installations?

I guess on windows you'll need vlc or quicktime. I don't think there's
any video format that will work on Linux, Windows, Mac without
installing something extra.

Cheers,
goibhniu
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk