[Gllug] eeePC and 3g

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:07:57 UTC 2008

2008/6/18  <damion.yates at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, John Hearns wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:09 +0100, michael norman wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for that, I'll pass it on to son and girlfriend.  A quick
>> > look at the 3 site gives you the option of white or black modems
>> > but doesn't go into any detail as to whether they are any
>> > different technically.
>
> If going for a dongle I'd go for the smallest and sexiest looking one.
> If it doesn't work at first, then that's just more fun getting the
> kernel patched and stuff to get it working :)
>
>> > I'm still wondering whether it (3g broadband) is worth doing
>> > especially given that the eepc will pretty much connect to wi fi
>> > anywhere and there seem now to be a lot of free ones (libraries,
>> > pubs etc)
>
> Unless using this as your primary connection, ie GBs of download, then
> you're quite unlikely to go near the fair usage limits.  You will
> however never face the annoying situation of a lack of wifi, or loads
> of wifi points around but all are pay for use, or secured against
> publish use.
>
>> I have an eeePC, and as of yesterday a new shiny Nokia E51 phone
>> with HSDPA. I got it connecting up this morning via the USB cable,
>> but couldn't get the Bluetooth connection (I think more of a problem
>> with the Bluetooth than anything else).
>
> I favour BT over USB simply as a comfort of use situation.  I can
> leave my phone in my pocket and the laptop doesn't have dangling
> wires.  I believe BT is limited in speed to about 1MB though.
>
>> I'd still go for the 3G dongle. There may be lots of free wireless
>> around, but not as ubiquitous as you want it to be.
>
> I completely agree, and as this is gLlug, you should have 3G for most
> networks pretty much over the whole of the capital.
>
> As I regularly use my phone itself for PuTTY (e90) I was particularly
> interested in multiple APN support.  I also wanted EXTREMELY reliable
> ssh, as others have mentioned in this thread, and O2 definitely
> provide that.  I can sustain a connection even with minor drops on
> tunnels on the bottom part of the circle line!  I'm in screen(1)
> anyway so it's not a major issue to reconnect but I was extremely
> impressed to see my cursor continue to move after waiting a second or
> two for the G, E or 3G symbol to recover and the crossout symbol to
> return.  If on G or E and a call comes in, it crosses out and returns
> back after as long as the tcp/ip timeouts haven't been exceeded, so I
> guess it's not that surprising.  If I'm on the move, such as using my
> GPS and google maps in the car, it has no trouble switching from one
> cell to another and even cleanly dropping from 3.5G (I get 1MB or so
> all over London) to 3G to EDGE to GPRS and then recovering back up
> again to 3.5G for ssh sessions lasting hours.
>
> Make sure you read this though:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/09/o2_accidental_call/
>

> As for which network.  I went through this pain over a period of about
> 2 months, testing all providers.

> [...]

I've got Vodafone 3g which I'm now trying to get rid of (stuck on 18
month contract). It's lousy as your only broadband, content control
gets stuck on far too often and I didn't get very good speeds.

I've now got proper broadband, adsl syncing at 8 meg. I was lucky to
get a meg from V'phone, and it very often only gave me GPRS.

Caroline
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk