[Gllug] anyone used ovh.co.uk for hosting

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Fri Mar 7 20:59:33 UTC 2008

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Hmm, I decided to do a bit more research and I was shocked to find this:
>
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=672553&highlight=ovh
>
> That all happened last month! I guess I will have to go elsewhere.

Hmm. This is what annoys me about forums. Of course OVH have probably
rented thousands of servers without issue, then one guy (posting with
the benefit anonymity of course, and also doing something a bit weird
like partitioning an already cheap, cheap, cheap server using VMware
etc..) ruins their rep!

Then a big conspiracy theory, they are really French, based in (gosh)
France! This you could find out by poking around the web site in a few
minutes. Even worse the French support guy speaks with a French accent
(horror!).

All this grief is over a server costing less than £60 a month!

The guys renting the server, probably wanted a bit more of a
"intelligent hands on" host, or even their own colo server in a data
rack they could access directly (in the UK). Not suprisingly this all
costs more.

Little tip when you read a review like this. Look up the profile of the
guy complaining. Also take a look at his sig (if he has one) Many just
register on these forums for one off "rants" and of course OVH can't
answer back.

In this case this guy has had issue's with GoDaddy (can't figure out
their control panel) to H-Sphere (unable to buy a licence).

Paul
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk