[Gllug] Memory Usage

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Mar 11 11:15:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:25:35PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > When you first boot, all the memory
> > available to the hypervisor is allocated to the Dom0.
>
> You can add a kernel parameter "dom0_mem" to set the memeory available
> to dom0 when it boots.
>
> I have one xen server running 20+ domUs where, if I don't do this, I
> have trouble starting additional domains due to memory allocation problems.

Yes, there are a number of known bugs in this area which Red Hat have
been steadily fixing.

Another one is where you have a machine which a huge amount of RAM
installed (as in > 100 GB) and you generally have to boot dom0 with a
more reasonable limit.  The memory is still available to the
hypervisor to allocate to guests of course.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat