[Gllug] Anyone using Virgin Media?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 06:19:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:26 +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:

> Anyone here using them for their broadband over their fibre-optic lines?

Their advertising is VERY misleading.  Most of their network is actually
old-fashioned coax, and getting flakier by the day!

> How does the service compare with other providers you have used?

Their "20 Mb/s" service doesn't really exist - I'm supposed to be on
that service, and actually get <6 Mb/s generally.  VM claim that there
is no fault, but everybody in this neighbourhood suffers from (roughly)
1/3 speed connections.

> Any insight appreciated.

VM have just signed a deal with "Phorm" who will log your browsing
habits and spam you with "targeted advertising".  This is the same
disaster that BT have been trialling for the last few months and
Carphone Warehouse have also signed up too...

The "Phorm" debacle will be the thing that moves me away from VM.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk