[Gllug] Anyone using Virgin Media?

Matt Blissett matt at blissett.me.uk
Sat Mar 1 22:46:24 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Justin Perreault wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 11:56 +0000, Ashley Evans wrote:
>>> Best I've used in the past few years is Bethere (24meg adsl2 with
>>> consistent service, good speeds, cheap, static ip option)

It's the only thing I've used for the past 2 years, but I've had the same
experiences.

>> Are you on the Be pro or unlimited?

I'm on Be unlimited.  The IP address doesn't change unless I leave the
router off for several hours so I didn't bother with the static IP.

>> About the modem Bethere provides, can the wireless be turned off?

Yes.

> One word of warning about using the BeBox on the Be link, the
> knuckleheads in their tech department will remotely login to your bebox
> and reset it at random times for no apparent reason. When questioned the
> response I got was : there were some security scripts being run.

I've never noticed the box being reset.  The box (mine is 3 years old) has a
DNS server, which recently has been getting less and less reliable -- but I
just set a different DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf and sidestepped the
inconvenience (the alternative is to reset the box).  I don't know if it's
BeThere's DNS server or the box.

I /think/ you can run Linux on the box they provide, but I haven't tried.

I had 23.9MB/s down when I was living about 10m from the phone exchange, now
I'm further away and 'only' get 19MB/s down.  I've never noticed any
contention problems.

They block outbound port 25, so my mailserver has to forward through their
SMTP server.

--
Matt

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk