[Gllug] LiveCD that boots withoiut confirmation

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 3 14:27:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:04:26PM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:55:17 +0000
> Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > --------
> >
> > Avi Greenbury writes:
> >
> > >Problem is that most of the LiveCDs i've seen either require you to pick
> > >an option (install, boot from CD, boot from first HDD etc.) or give a
> > >boot: prompt for kernel options.
> >
> > The obvious solution is to get them to network boot instead. Configure
> > their BIOS to have network booting as the highest priority option, set
> > up a boot server and away you go.
>
> Actually, that's rather obvious. Why didn't I think of that? ;)
>
> *gets more coffee*

By the way, I recently discovered that dnsmasq is by far the simplest
way to set up dhcp + pxe boots + tftp.  So if you don't already have
this set up, then install dnsmasq and put this in the config file and
you're set to go:

# TFTP server
enable-tftp
tftp-root=/tftpboot

# PXE booting
dhcp-option=vendor:PXEClient,1,0.0.0.0
dhcp-boot=memtest86/pxelinux.0,amd,192.168.2.128

(The above will boot an image called /tftpboot/memtest86/pxelinux.0
from a host named 'amd' at IP address 192.168.2.128).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat