[Gllug] Median cut algorithm

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Mar 14 19:47:48 UTC 2008

Last year I wrote some perl that implemented this (as a way of
palettizing PNGs - see Image::Pngslimmer on CPAN).

I was thinking of making this a generic thing (the median cut algorithm
is a way of producing 'boxes' of co-ordinates in n-dimensional space
where the central point of each box represents an average - so I was
using it to reducing true colour PNGs to 256 colour ones etc).

Thing is, I don't think anybody but me has ever used Image::Pngslimmer
and the lack of general information on the median cut algorithm suggests
it is not in high demand, and, in any case, Perl isn't really optimal
for this sort of bit manipulation work.

But if even one person says it is useful I'd happily do this (though
don't expect it by the end of next week!).

Any takers?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk