[Gllug] Anyone using Virgin Media?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sat Mar 1 16:52:21 UTC 2008

Replying to myself as summary and clarification

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:26 +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:
> I am looking at the bundles Virgin( www.virginmedia.com ) has

> Anyone here using them for their broadband over their fibre-optic lines?

Virgin is now offering only fibre-optic or adsl over a BT line. When I
lived in Canada cable provided broadband was via a co-axial cable. Does
anyone know when NTL/Virgin went fibre?

Looking into that question I found out that Virgin is only providing
optical to the street level and individual homes get co-axial. Yes,
there would be expected speed improvements as the "exchange" is at
street level wherever they say they can install but does not seem to be
fibre-optic to the home as the advertising seems to suggest.

And seeing as how my place is only 1.25 km from an exchange I feel I
might look elsewhere. Like at Be. However, now that I know the BT line
connection charge is £125 maybe I'll have to keep looking.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk