[Gllug] Keyboard Oddity

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Sat May 3 13:15:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 14:27, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 12:36:32PM +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> PS I just found out if I hit space after the intended character it seems
>> to work viz:
>
> Which locale do you have set?  Does this problem occur in xterms, in web
> forms in a graphical browser like firefox, in any random GUI program you
> can find that has text entry, at the console (i.e. not in X)?  I bet it
> doesn't happen everywhere.
>
> This sounds as if you may have a problem with UTF-8 and your font
> settings or with a particular programme that doesn't handle UTF-8.  In
> UTF-8, some characters will be encoded with one byte, others with two or
> more.  In any context where the Unicode support/configuration isn't
> consistent, you can see these multi-byte characters being handled
> incorrectly, being mistaken for multiple characters with the effect that
> odd control characters are inserted into the output.
>
> --
> Bruce

No, that is not the problem. For example when he tries to type I'm, the
first "'" is assumed to be an accent, then he presses "m", which should be
an "accented m". Such a character does not exist, even in UTF-8 fonts.

The problem is no doubt with the keyboard locale, and it will happen in
all programs.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk