[Gllug] Keyboard Oddity

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Sat May 3 16:50:07 UTC 2008

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> No, that is not the problem. For example when he tries to type I'm, the
> first "'" is assumed to be an accent, then he presses "m", which should be
> an "accented m". Such a character does not exist, even in UTF-8 fonts.

The expression you're looking for is "dead keys". They're very useful
when they work, but seem no longer to be on funny Alt-shifted keys like
they used to be, and are now on related punctuation keys. `xmodmap -pk`
will show you which symbols are mapped to which keys; those preceded
with dead_ are "dead key" sequence initiators, as seen in the xev output.

You can either override them manually with suitable entries in
~/.Xmodmap or change the keymap to one without dead keys. The entries in
  xorg.conf are typically insufficient to do this, and it's not related
to the locale, so it'll be some graphical doobrey within (presumably)
Gnome or KDE.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk