[Gllug] Linux based "not Active Directory"

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed May 7 07:14:11 UTC 2008

I'd like to pull together a bunch of network admin services together in an
integrated way. The centralised lookup functions every distributed
environment needs - DHCP, DNS, LDAP (authorisation / general info lookup),
and some sane authentication scheme (perhaps Kerberos - sanity depends on
where you're standing). The only neat solution I'm aware of is Windows
Active Directory. I guess Novell once had a competitor (may still do). Is
there a Linux system to manage a similar feat?

To clarify - I don't want an Active Directory implementation neccesarily. I
would like something that performs similar functions though. AD (for all
it's faults) has a very slick integration / implementation of LDAP,
Kerberos, DHCP, and DNS. I want one.

Any ideas? Has this all been left to Microsoft?

Richard