[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu May 29 12:05:24 UTC 2008

On 29 May 2008, tid said:

> [change of subject, but within the 'etiquette' scope]
>
> I was astonished recently to attend a fairly high-level meeting
> between my company and a supplier
> where the supplier people would ask questions, then start using their
> crackberries. Grrr.

Ah, that's another problem with Outlook and a lot of these mobile
things.  The word-wrapping is done *after the mail is sent* and with
minimal understanding of quoting protocol, leading to the idiotic
phenomenon of staircase-quoting.

(And, I dunno, but perhaps they were just googling for something? I do
that all the time when people ask me questions and some subset of it
exceeds my knowledge: it's one reason why I prefer all interaction to be
via email. Working without Google is like losing half my memory.)

> I'm keen to know if anyone knows of a device such as 'TV-be-gone' that
> will block/disrupt any mobile
> signal within a few meter's radius. Or do I just build a faraday cage
> into my meeting room?

The former device is illegal, largely because it interrupts emergency
calls too. The latter, well, if you want to block 999 from within your
own meeting room, so be it, I'd say. After all a lot of lifts are like
that already.

(Disclaimer: IANAL.)

--
`If you are having a "ua luea luea le ua le" kind of day, I can only
 assume that you are doing no work due [to] incapacitating nausea caused
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk