[Gllug] Upgrading 32 bit to 64 bit

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sat May 17 17:34:29 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 10:13 +0100, Tethys wrote:
> Justin Perreault writes:
>
> >It just has too many "features" that would be more appropriate in a
> >bleeding edge nightly build distro. I had thought that Fedora was
> >supposed to be a balance between bleeding edge and functionally stable.
>
> While not exactly bleeding edge, Fedora has always been a forward
> looking distribution, and tends to try out many things before the
> others.
>
> I'm curious to know exactly what problems you're having, though.

FF 3b5 took me a couple of hours to sort out. Having done the work I
would guess that if you avoid trying to bring anything over it should
hopefully have few issues. Session restoring was the biggest problem.

There used to be tools for adjusting the login screen. I want no login
names to be displayed but the GDM tools have yet to be made. I am still
tracking down how to do this manually.

The add/remove packages gui seems to stall unless the update window is
explicitly opened. I have stumbled upon some solutions for this while
pursuing the above two items. I think I saw that changing that interface
is not too difficult.

There is no fglrx yet.

The resizing tool did not act as expected. Not having a spare partition
or drive at the moment left me with the option being to try and resize
the / partition. The result was my fedora 8 install got nuked. I would
have been able to down grade or have already accepted the choice of
nuking the partition.

In the past I have waited until about a month after a latest Fedora to
allow for the growing pains to be sorted. My post reflects my
frustration more than the severity of the situation.

It would have been more accurate to state that not waiting a month for
the release to mature was a mistake. I suspect that over the next week
or so my difficulties will be able to be sorted.

I have always been happy with the Fedora forward thinking nature in the
past but whether it is my lack of waiting for wrinkles to be ironed out
or over eagerness of the Fedora team it has been more than is
comfortable for me this time. I'll live.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk