[Gllug] Decent Linux/RHEL5-compatible SATA raid card

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 17 17:15:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 07:25:36PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:24:41PM +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> > The only decent ones that I know are from 3ware and areca. I have no
> > experience with the areca cards (I'll be getting a few in the next weeks
> > though) but both have drivers are in RHEL4/5.
>
> Is there a replacement for the strange & proprietary 3ware 'tw_cli'
> management program yet?

None that I know :( it's mostly talking to the controller with
ioctl(fd, TW_IOCTL_FIRMWARE_PASS_THROUGH, ...) and the only opensource
tool that I know that has some partial understanding on how to use it
is smartmontools that uses it to pass ATA commands to the drives.

The Areca side is more or less the same AFAIK.

Kostas Georgiou
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk