[Gllug] Upgrading 32 bit to 64 bit

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri May 9 00:02:04 UTC 2008

I messed up and would rather not have to redo a full install.

I installed 32 bit Fedora 8 and I really should have installed 64 bit.
This was about 2 weeks ago and I only just realised it now. I have not
had a 64 bit system before and simply overlooked it at the time of
install. Which does mean that I have installed additional packages and
plugins etc. that I would rather not have to do again.

So. I want to upgrade from Fedora 8 to Fedora 8 64 bit.

I have found this article.

http://www.linux.com/feature/123800

Unfortunately, it seems to focus on a Fedora 7 32 bit to Fedora 8 64 bit
install which gives me concerns about the problems that have been
highlighted and their value to me if I go into it blind.

Is it reasonably possible to upgrade to 64 bit without a reinstall?

Is it possible to install 64 bit alongside the 32 bit version? I am
guessing this would entail simply creating another partition and
installing to that. Effectively just doing a fresh install and keeping
my home partition. Or is there another way?

Any suggestions and direction is appreciated.

Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk