[Gllug] Ubuntu Apache proxying problems

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue May 27 20:58:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> It seems like mod_proxy is detecting that the back end is down and
> disabling access to it, but also caching that information somewhere.
> Thus when the back end comes back up, mod_proxy still claims it's down
> and won't pass traffic through.
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this, and what I can do to fix it
> (other than revert to CentOS, which is looking remarkably tempting at
> this point, although sadly not very feasible)?

>From the docs I'd suggest that you try fiddling with the retry value
if you haven't already.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass

retry 	60 	Connection pool worker retry timeout in seconds. If the
connection pool worker to the backend server is in the error state,
Apache will not forward any requests to that server until the timeout
expires. This enables to shut down the backend server for maintenance,
and bring it back online later. A value of 0 means always retry
workers in an error state with no timeout.

Cheers,

Rob.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk