[Gllug] SSH problems

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Fri May 16 17:46:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:59:17 +0100, william pink <will.pink at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have indeed commented in the TCPKeepAlive and tweaked the value of
> tcp_keepalive_intvl to 300 which no such luck unfortunately, What I can't
> understand is it can't be due to the networking as other people are
> having
> no problems but I am the only one using Ubuntu as my OS, it also can't be
> due to it timing out as 9 times out of 10 im actually using the
> connection!
> Its the first time I have ever experienced this sort of problem though

I had the same issue whilst using a friends PC on BT Internet.  It turned
out hte rotuer was dropping the connection every few minutes whether I was
using it on not.  If I set a ping going it would go for 2-5 minutes and
then start losing packets before coming back some 30 seconds later.

The owner of the PC hadn't noticed as when browsing pages would eventually
come back and she just thought it was a slow server the other end!

Try pinging the site you are connecting to and see if you lose any packets.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk