[Gllug] Err, if parted fails to resize an XP partition, can one do it within XP with some system tool?]

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri May 16 22:06:19 UTC 2008

I've not come across this problem before, but parted (on more than one
bootupCD  of different linux varieties, including non debian
derivatives) is failing to shrink a 40gb XP ntfs single partition disk
down to 2 x 20/20gb parts for linux installation. Error message is
totally unhelpful - basically says error can't shrink...

I seem to recall someone saying in passing on a lis (this?)t that XP
itself had a tool for resizing partitions. Can someone (a) confirm that
is the case and (b) give me some indication of where to find it, if such
exists, 'cos I haven't yet found it on my menu fumblings (I've now
increased my count of XP start ups to over a dozen since it was first
released now, but bet its' still under 20 times I'ver booted into it on
a computer of mine!!).

Or any freebie alternatives for shrinking parts in XPland?

Why should parted be failing I wonder? New one on me, that problem is...