[Gllug] need a password manager for passwords I do not care about

ccooke ccooke-gllug at gkhs.net
Thu May 15 16:19:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:10:57PM +0100, Dan Stevens (IAmAI) wrote:

> I use a password manager for Firefox called PasswordMaker
> (passwordmaker.org), which, rather than storing passwords, encrypted
> or otherwise, generates passwords as and when they are needed.
> PasswordMaker comes with a number of selectable hashing algorithms
> which, using your master password, the domain of the site and your
> username as inputs, generate a password for to use on your first and
> subsequent visits. The generated password is not store, but re-created
> every time you visit the site. The advantages of PasswordMaker, in
> addition to not storing passwords, is that it will generate strong
> passwords saving you having inventing them or memorise them. As long
> as I believe that my master password is safe, I am safe in the
> knowledge that if one of my accounts is compromised no others are
> because all of my accounts now use different passwords.

The downside of that is that you are actually *less* secure.

With a traditional password manager, you need both the password *and*
the datafile to get access to your account. With this, anyone who has
your password and can guess your username has access to anything you
use.

--
Charles Cooke, Sysadmin
Say it with flowers, send a triffid.