[Gllug] need a password manager for passwords I do not care about

Dan Stevens (IAmAI) dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:10:57 UTC 2008

> So, I need a password manager. I am thinking that using the one in
> Firefox might be okay. Until this point I have shunned password
> managers. My feeling being that they add insecurity to something that in
> theory should be secure. I will not be using this for any site that
> holds more details about me than my name and email address.

What is it that concerns your about password managers with regards to
security? Two possibilities come to my mind:

Firstly, any effective password manager is likely to require a master
password of some kind, which, if compromised also compromised all your
passwords stored in or generated by your password manager. However, if
you use a strong password, which have memorised and not stored, and
have not used it for anything besides as your password manager's
master password, it will be very difficult for an attacker to
compromise the security of your password manager.

The second security concern is of password managers that store your
passwords in some form. Obviously, passwords managers that store
passwords in clear text are of grave concern. Passwords should be
encrypted based on a master password. However, if password managers
uses a strong encryption method and you use a strong master password,
I believe there is no reason for concern.

I use a password manager for Firefox called PasswordMaker
(passwordmaker.org), which, rather than storing passwords, encrypted
or otherwise, generates passwords as and when they are needed.
PasswordMaker comes with a number of selectable hashing algorithms
which, using your master password, the domain of the site and your
username as inputs, generate a password for to use on your first and
subsequent visits. The generated password is not store, but re-created
every time you visit the site. The advantages of PasswordMaker, in
addition to not storing passwords, is that it will generate strong
passwords saving you having inventing them or memorise them. As long
as I believe that my master password is safe, I am safe in the
knowledge that if one of my accounts is compromised no others are
because all of my accounts now use different passwords.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk