[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Tue May 27 21:31:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 01:33 +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:

> don't install the Firebug extension

Whoops, installed it out of curiosity when going through the website of
plug ins... will shortly see the effect as just about to start firefox
for first time since last night and installing a heap of stuff to play
around with! I didn't look at it after that before switching off all the
network and routers and modem etc. for the night (saving carbon - we've
cut a 1/3!! off our  lekky consumption simply by turning things off with
dead switches rather than leaving stuff on, or on standby.

Got one of those little consumption meters and it was astonishing how
many appliances were bleeding off 2 watts here, 5 watts there, 10! watts
over yonder - added up to something like 120 watts being simply wasted
at any one time AND THAT WAS WITHOUT THE FILESERVER AND FIREWALL AND
ROUTER AND MODEM stack being left on 24/7 with an automated backup to
another 'pooter via rsync. That added another 90s watts at rest and 175
watts when the backup woke up.

Repeat that via a million or so homes and thats quite a few Didcots
keeping themselves spinning busily...