[Gllug] Firefox 3

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu May 29 08:18:26 UTC 2008

Peter Childs wrote:
> What is people's opion of the New Firefox 3 I think its currently out in
> release candidate.
>
> Anyway I've heard (and seen on the web) a lot of mixed feelings.
>
> My Users say its slow and the new drop down location list is too large and
> does not show them what they expect.

Doesn't seem any slower here - been testing a couple of the betas on
Debian (stable). If anything, I think it's a bit snappier on heavy
javascript sites like gmail etc.

The location list takes a little getting used to, but I think it
probably is an improvement.

Can't say whether memory usage has improved since I've only got a couple
of extensions installed (Flashblock + Firebug) and one of those
(Firebug) is turned off unless I'm doing web development. Since I turned
the laptop on this morning, top reports 210MB virtual-memory and 110MB
resident. That's just checking a couple of news sites.

Now I'm off to grumble about how we used to be fine with a 6502 and 4KB
of RAM, and we had to file off the rough corners of the zeros ourselves,
but we were happy...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd