[Gllug] Firefox 3

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu May 29 23:13:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 09:18 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:

> and we had to file off the rough corners of the zeros ourselves,

Nice one >;) I'm going to have to remember to drop that one into
conversation with my 16 year proto-uber geeky nephew and his mates next
time I'm visiting and get into one of those greybeard "well in my day"
recantations!

Actually he's quite impressive since I introduced him to linux not much
over 18 months ago - and its really taken off at his school amongst the
nerd mob through him, there is hope if emulated in other schools for
open/free systems if they are anything to go by there, as they will be
the next generation into professional work soon.

All it needs is one "seeding" and let the kids take it from there. I
gather the county council school system is hopelessly compromised and
beyond economic rescue. They've cracked everything a windows network and
big filter at county HQ can throw at them, unless its adolescent
boasting. But somehow I get the feeling they aren't lying too much...**

He looong ago outstripped my limited knowledge and is kernel hacking,
which I couldn't even dream of doing if I spent the next 10 years trying
(if I live that long).

** Check out Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother" - future fiction young
adult book that sounds fun...