[Gllug] Firefox 3

Savvas, Panayotis panayotis.savvas at logica.com
Thu May 29 08:57:51 UTC 2008

> Peter Childs wrote:
> What is people's opion of the New Firefox 3 I think its currently out
> in release candidate.

I have been using Firefox 3 from beta through to release candidate on
both Ubuntu (7.10 - 8.04) and Windows XP.

General:
Like the location drop down and the Security Info for SSL certificated
sites.
Like the "star" single click bookmarking.

On Ubuntu:
Firefox memory hogging is still brain dead. Regularly uses upwards of
300MB ram.
Otherwise stable and seems to load pages faster.

On XP:
Slower than IE7.
Memory hogging much less intrusive than on Ubuntu.
Lots of crashes, particularly with gmail, godaddy and other javascript
heavy sites.

I will wait for the final v3, but unless the issues are fixed on both
platforms I will probably move away from Firefox to something like
opera.
At the end of the day even Firefox isn't apparently free software :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk