[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue May 27 17:34:25 UTC 2008

Caroline Ford wrote:
> 2008/5/27 James Holland <holland.james at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> I guess this illustrates it perfectly. I'm trying to grasp why I'm not
>> showing consideration?? (Please be gentle, I'm just trying to understand
>> it!)

James - consideration is a matter of perception. If you're perceived to
be inconsiderate then you are being so. No amount of rationalisation can
explain it or change minds. It's a good idea to just accept that you are
being so and change to accommodate as bet you're able.

> The people who complain don't understand that normal use of email is
> top posting. If you bottom post in a business setting it is clearly
> wrong.

Indeed. It's very common for me to be sent a big top posted email with
the advice "read up from the bottom". When you trim and comment inline
the history of the discussion is lost. This *only* applies to person to
person email and doesn't apply where the emails are archived, such as on
  this list.

> I see these debates as old fashioned, and anyone who really won't a
> top posted comment isn't worth bothering with anyway.

Agreed. Top posting is appropriate in some situations & that's all there
is to it :-)

S.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk