[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:05:08 UTC 2008

Jack Bertram wrote:
> Is this true in a corporate environment if you have to coexist with MS
> Office users? Features like macros and custom templates never used to
> translate properly.  Nearly every sizeable company has these in their
> documents.

Even if your colleagues only use OOo, as in my case, you will always
have the "problem" of having to interact with people using MS Office.
I send and receive spreadsheets and documents to customers, partners in
other companies, etc. practically every day and until now I have not had
any problem at all. I only need to remember to save the files I need to
send as .xls or .doc, but it is now embedded in my brain and it comes
naturally. If I know the other person will not need to modify the file,
then I just save it as .pdf and send it in that format. That way I will
also be sure they will see the file (layout) they way I want them to see
it. The same goes for presentations.

I haven't had problems with macros and customised templates, but it is
also true that I don't have to deal with complex ones.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
http://www.ivanvirgili.com